Governor Pence Officially Opens New US 31 Plymouth to South Bend
Portion near Lakeville named Mangus Memorial Highway
ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Ind. – Governor Mike Pence today joined Congresswoman Jackie Walorski, the US 31 Coalition and other community members to celebrate and officially open 20 miles of new US 31 freeway between Plymouth and South Bend.
During the ceremony, Governor Pence dedicated a portion of US 31 near Lakeville as the “Richard W. Mangus Memorial Highway.” Mangus, a native and life-long resident of Lakeville, was elected to the Indiana House of Representatives in 1972 and served with distinction until 2004. Mangus was an early supporter of the new US 31 route through the area and passed away before the project broke ground in 2008.
Click here to read the full release.
New US 31 opens Thursday, Aug. 21
Some restrictions remain through the end of the year as construction continues
SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) announces the New US 31 between South Bend and Plymouth opens to traffic this Thursday, Aug. 21. Some restrictions will remain on the north end of the project near South Bend and the south end near Plymouth through the end of the year as construction continues. View a map
The new US 31 is 20 miles of divided, four-lane highway between the US 20 Bypass in South Bend and US 30 near Plymouth. In between, traffic will only be able to access the new alignment by way of entrance and exit ramps. Three interchanges will open this Thursday: Kern Road (South Bend), State Road 4 (Lakeville) and U.S. 6 (LaPaz). A fourth interchange at 7th Road near Plymouth is under construction and will open to traffic by the end of 2014.
INDOT urges drivers to watch for other motorists as they adjust to the new traffic patterns. Below are a map of the project and a north-to-south explanation of access to the new highway.
New US 31, South Bend:
- The new US 31 alignment diverts from the existing US 31 just south of the Jackson Road Bridge, near the US 20 Bypass. Traffic will not be able to enter or exit Old US 31 at this location.
- The Kern Road interchange is the first exit on the new US 31. Traffic should use this exit to access Old US 31 and surrounding neighborhoods. Kern Road and US 31 ramp traffic will meet at one intersection beneath the interchange bridge, similar to the nearby US 20 Bypass entrance/exit at Ironwood Road. Stop signs will control traffic when the highway opens on Thursday, and a signal will be installed to control traffic beneath the bridge by the end of September.
- One lane of traffic in each direction, between the US 20 Bypass and Kern Road through the end of 2014.
- Old US 31 will be closed between Main Street and Hildebrand Street through the end of 2014.
- Old US 31 will dead end at Hildebrand Street permanently by the end of 2014.
New US 31, Lakeville:
- The State Road 4 interchange is the second exit on the new US 31. Traffic should use this exit to access State Road 4/Pierce Road, Old US 31, and Lakeville.
New US 31, LaPaz
- The US 6 interchange is the third exit on the new US 31. Traffic should use this exit to access US 6, Old US 31, and LaPaz.
New US 31, Plymouth area:
- The 7th Road interchange is the fourth exit on the new US 31, but will not be completed and accessible until the end of 2014. Once complete, traffic will use this exit to access 7th Road and Plymouth.
- The new US 31 alignment returns to existing US 31 alignment just north of US 30. Traffic will not be able to enter or exit Old US 31 at this location.
- One lane of traffic in each direction between the 7th Road interchange (under construction) and US 30 through the end of 2014.
Indiana is finishing what we’ve started to open up congested areas of US 31 between Indianapolis and South Bend. In November 2013, 13 miles of new US 31 freeway opened just east of Kokomo. When the final 13 miles north of Indianapolis open to traffic the end of 2015, a total of 32 traffic signals will have been removed from the drive, increasing safety and saving a half hour of travel time.
Daytime closures planned for Kern Road June 19 and 20
Kern Road will be closed from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday, June 19, and Friday, June 20, for interchange construction. During the closures, westbound traffic will be detoured north on US 31, west on Ireland Road, south on Locust Road, and back to Kern Road. Eastbound traffic will travel north on Locust Road, east on Ireland Road, south on US 31, and back to Kern Road.
US 31 restrictions on south side of South Bend begin Monday
INDOT announces several changing traffic patterns beginning next week on the south side of South Bend, including:
- US 31 lane restrictions
- Johnson Road closure
- Jackson Road bridge opening
- Main Street opening
These changes are necessary while crews connect the new lanes of US 31 with existing US 31. All restrictions and openings below are scheduled to take place by the end of the day Monday, May 5. Click here to view the full release.
Periodic brief closures April 4-8
Utility relocation and panel sign installation may cause delays
The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) announces restrictions coming to US 31, between Johnson Road and Ireland Road in South Bend.
Friday, April 4: Periodic 15-minute complete closures of US 31, between Johnson Road and the US 20 Bypass between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. AEP crews will be installing power lines across the roadway during these brief closures. All traffic will be stopped, both northbound and southbound, between this stretch for about 15 minutes at a time, approximately five times throughout the day. The closures are necessary to ensure driver safety as crews work across the roadway.
Monday and Tuesday, April 7-8: US 31 will be down to one lane in each direction, between Johnson Road and Ireland Road, so crews can remove the center median and install panel signs.
To avoid delays during all these restrictions drivers are encouraged to avoid US 31 between Johnson Road and Ireland Road in South Bend on April 4, 7, and 8.