New US 31 now open
Some restrictions remain through the end of the year as construction continues
New US 31 between South Bend and Plymouth is now open. Some restrictions will remain on the
north end of the project near South Bend and the south end near Plymouth
through the end of the year as construction continues. View a map
The new US 31 is 20 miles of divided, four-lane highway between the US 20 Bypass in South Bend and US 30 near Plymouth. In between, traffic will only be able to access the new alignment by way of entrance and exit ramps. Three interchanges will open this Thursday: Kern Road (South Bend), State Road 4 (Lakeville) and U.S. 6 (LaPaz). A fourth interchange at 7th Road near Plymouth is under construction and will open to traffic by the end of 2014.
New US 31, South Bend:
- The new US 31 alignment diverts from the existing US 31 just south of the Jackson Road Bridge, near the US 20 Bypass. Traffic will not be able to enter or exit Old US31 at this location.
- The Kern Road interchange is the first exit on the new US 31. Traffic should use this exit to access Old US 31 and surrounding neighborhoods. Kern Road and US 31 ramp traffic will meet at one intersection beneath the interchange bridge, similar to the nearby US 20 Bypass entrance/exit at Ironwood Road. Stop signs will control traffic when the highway opens on Thursday, and a signal will be installed to control traffic beneath the bridge by the end of September.
- One lane of traffic in each direction, between the US 20 Bypass and Kern Road through the end of 2014.
- Old US 31 will be closed between Main Street and Hildebrand Street through the end of 2014.
- Old US 31 will dead end at Hildebrand Street permanently by the end of 2014.
New US 31, Lakeville:
- The State Road 4 interchange is the second exit on the new US 31. Traffic should use this exit to access State Road 4/Pierce Road, Old US 31, and Lakeville.
New US 31, LaPaz
- The US 6 interchange is the third exit on the new US 31. Traffic should use this exit to access US 6, Old US 31, and LaPaz.
New US 31, Plymouth area:
- The 7th Road interchange is the fourth exit on the new US 31, but will not be completed and accessible until the end of 2014. Once complete, traffic will use this exit to access 7th Road and Plymouth.
- The new US 31 alignment returns to existing US 31 alignment just north of US 30. Traffic will not be able to enter or exit Old US 31 at this location.
- One lane of traffic in each direction between the 7th Road interchange (under construction) and US 30 through the end of 2014.
US 31 access closed to several local roads
US 31 access on the south side of South Bend is now closed at Jewell Avenue, Hildebrand Street, Yoder Street, Dice Street, Pulling Street, Gilmer Street, Pasadena Avenue, Detroit Avenue and Lucinda Street. Drivers can access US 31 at Main Street, Kern Road and Ireland Road.
The closures are necessary as the New US 31 is tied-in to existing US 31. At the end of the year, access to existing US 31 will be reinstated, but access to the New US 31 will be available only at Kern Road or US 20.
US 31 restricted to one lane each direction near US 20
From now through most of the summer, US 31 will be restricted to one lane in each direction, and traffic merging onto US 31 from US 20 will now yield to through traffic. INDOT is working to alleviate any traffic delays and congestion by adjusting traffic signals in the area to facilitate north-south traffic flow.
Despite adjustments, traffic volume in the area may lead to back-ups on US 31 and on the US 20 Bypass exit ramp for traffic accessing southbound US 31. Drivers are encouraged to find alternative routes to avoid delays.
US 31 restricted to one lane each direction between US 30 and US 6
US 31, from US 30 to just south of US 6, is restricted to one lane in each direction. A crossover is in place.